Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 22:33:25 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@p1000180.nsr.hp.com>
To:        "Luis A. Burgos" <burgosl@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: linux_base-6.1

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 06:20:46PM -0400, Luis A. Burgos wrote:
> My question is: is is possible to upgrade glibc and libjpeg for the linux emulation on 4.3 stable? If so, how?

In principle, you can upgrade the glibc and libjpeg libraries by installing
more recent versions. You can download the rpm's from any RH mirror and use
either the rpm port or the installed Linux version to query the versions
you have now and install new ones.

Of course, expect some trouble. You may need to upgrade other packages
before you can install a new glibc or libjpeg. The principle is the
same, including upgrading dependent packages.

Also, a new glibc is likely to depend on new syscalls, not currently
emulated by the Linuxulator. If this happens, a lot more work needs
to be done.

> I'm not a unix guru, so unless it's a straightforward task, I don't think I can do it. If so, are you planning to upgrade the linux emulation anytime soon, or are you waiting for the release of 5.0 to include a newer version.

At this time, I hardly assign any time to FreeBSD. I stopped making
plans I fail to execute anyway. Yes, it's about time we upgraded our
ports (linux_base and linux_devtools), but I don't know when it
happens and who will be doing it...

HTH,

--
Marcel Moolenaar