Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:31:55 -0600 (MDT)
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Rod Ebrahimi <info@pagecreators.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> > > 	Recently I was looking into some of Dell's server systems and found that
> > > they offer Pentium II 233mhz and 266mhz... I was wondering if anyone had
> > > any experience with these types of systems (Pentium II) or knows how they
> > > will interact with FreeBSD...

> > The PPro is still faster for a true 32-bit OS, primarily due to the fact
> > that the L2 is 1:1 with the CPU clock. On the Pentium II, the L2 caching
> > is at 1/2 the CPU clock.

>   Not, not quite.  At the same clock rate, the PPro is faster, but the PII
> can operate at 266mhz, while the PPro maxes at 200mhz.

You are correct there. Expandability is much better with the "next
generation." Another plus is that P2s come standard with 512K L2.
Per cycle, the Pro is a better processor, but the higher frequency of
the P2 is definitely a factor.

> > The PII runs 16-bit software better and adds MMX extensions, but for a
> > network server the PPro will still be faster.
>
>   The PII/266 will be faster than a PPro/200.

On most things. The S. E. C. cartridge is unwieldy and proprietary, and
the 266 is still a bit pricey. I may be antiquated, but I prefer the Pro.
On an unlimited budget, the PII-266 is a good choice.

Kevin