Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 03:15:32 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

>> >P.S. I still don't see how this makes it useless at all - this is how
>> >it *should* work!
>>
>> Because the default object directory for joe user running make in
>> /home/joe/src/prog is /usr/obj/home/joe/src/prog.

>And..?  It's correct!  It's the same way it *used* to be, in fact.

No, it used to go only to subdirectories of `prog' which joe can create
(namely obj.`uname -m`, obj and "." in that order).  Now the existence
of /usr/obj/home/joe/src/prog makes it difficult for joe to even build
things in the current directory :-(.

>Unless you by luck had your src directory *really* under /usr/src, the
>sed script which intended to strip /usr/src off always failed and
>you'd end up with /usr/obj/actual/source/path/<something>, something
>which was guaranteed in the case where you had "joe" checking out and
>building parts of his own tree.

That's for building the FreeBSD src tree.  A subdirectory named "obj"
or simply "." worked well enough for single directories, although
things were broken for the whole tree.  I'm complaining about "obj"
being broken for non-FreeSBD sources and "." being broken if the tree
in /usr/obj somehow mirrors joe's tree.

Bruce