Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:36:55 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "make delete-old" misses files, breaking KRB5-related builds

--fmvA4kSBHQVZhkR6

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:02:38AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Not quite recently, the build targets for "make delete-old" and
> "make delete-old-libs" were added, and I thought there were sort of
> useful to get rid of crap after updates.
>=20
> However, something somehow somewhen dropped old gssapi_generic.h and
> related files into /usr/include/gssapi which sat there waiting to wreak
> havoc on port builds on later 6.X or 7.0 releases. Either some port
> installed outside $PREFIX, or these used to be part of the system and
> got removed before the "make delete-old" framework was put into place.
> "Wreak havoc" means mislead configure scripts of several packages
> (GNOME-related in my case) to believe some other installation was there,
> but it wouldn't work because some parts of the system were
> missing/changed...
> ...=20
> So what's the canonical way to "installworld" into a staging area so I
> can just compare or rsync --del system directories?

I don't promise that it's "canonical," but an approach that has stood me
in good stead for several years has been to precede "make installworld"
with

	rm -fr /usr/include.old && mv /usr/include{,.old}

thus causing the "make installword" step to completely re-create
/usr/include from scratch.

Granted, this will be of reduced utility if there are any other
procedures you use to update /usr/include.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--fmvA4kSBHQVZhkR6

--fmvA4kSBHQVZhkR6--