Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:35:41 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How about gcj? (Re: Not committing WARNS settings...)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:29:57PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> - is GCC3 also better on Alpha as far as correctness of the generated
>   code goes? Or is that what you mean by "bad optimised code" ?

We shall see.

> - The gcc 2.95 compiler is quite a bit slower (it appears) on Alpha than
>   on x86. Do you have any idea how gcc3 does in this respect?

3.1 will also be slower on the Alpha.  It is really an issue of the code
generator.  Generating x86 code on an Alpha is faster than generating
[native] Alpha code.  The Alpha code generator is slow.  It may be that
all 64 bit or RISC GCC code generation is slow -- we will see soon for
the sparc64.