Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:06:44 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Video Stupidity (was RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit")

David Schwartz wrote:

>  Both VHS and Beta exceed broadcast quality.

Ha ha.

A piece of advice David - don't utter such mindbogglingly stupid
statements in the midst of an argument you're trying to win. People
who actually know about broadcast video (ie me) might start to judge
the veracity of everything you're saying on the appalling ignorance
of the comment above.

						-- C.

PS I don't have the technical specs of Betamax and VHS to hand to
compare them, so I'm not going to argue on technical performance,
but everything I've read suggests VHS won because of (relatively)
free and open licensing vs Sony's desire to control and own
everything that was Betamax. Unfortunately Sony's tactics have been
much more successful in the broadcast arena.

PPS In my experience, SVHS lost the consumer war because the small
increase in quality (can anyone here say chroma noise?) wasn't
sufficient to justify the vast increase in cost, when people who
wanted quality could obtain much more of it for a similar price from
laserdisc.
--
Craig Harding                crh@outpost.co.nz    "I don't know about God, I
Outpost Digital Media Ltd    crh@inspire.net.nz    just think we're handmade"