Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 16:58:36 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>, "Thomas Lau" <lkthomas@hkicable.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Western Digital or IBM of Hard Disk are better?

I've always tried to get IBMs, believing they had longer MTBF, however
I did have a 27Gb IDE drive develop bad sectors after a year. At least it
was replaced promptly (with a 45Gb one). Western Digital have always
been on my "avoid at any price" list because of numerous reports from
colleagues in OZ about warranty problems. In all cases the distributor
refused to replace dead drives stating they were "grey" imports. WD
neglected to answer any emails asking for further information so hence the
blacklisting.