Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 21:20:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@sidwell.edu>
To:        Don Littlefield <unibrow@value.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minimum hardware for a bridge...

We used a 386dx33 with 4 megs of ram to route between 3 ethernets and a
slip line for quite a while (the upgrade to 8 megs made a big difference
each time we added another card though).  Thiese were SMC Elite Ultra BNC
cards -- althoug our ethernt wasn't very active, it performed nicely (we
had about 20 workstations running netscape to access the server on a
different ethernet) -- we pulled routing at abou 400k per second fts and
so on (kbytes not kbits).  I was very very impressed -- just don't plan
to get much interactive use out of the system.  Also, try getting 8
instead of 4 -- it'll make a big difference if you have config changes
and kernel compiles to do.  I haven't tried routing on anythnig less than
a dx33, so who knows how the 25 will perform.  If it's just slip/ppp to
ethernet, it'll do great.

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Don Littlefield wrote:

> I was thinking of building a bridge using a 386 Dx25.  It only has to be
> a minimal system.. Currently I just have the motherboard, and old ATI VGA
> 512k video board, and a WD8000e network card.. I need a disk drive, memory
> and thats about it...oh, and a case :)
>
> So I was thinking about:
>
> 420 meg HD
> 4 megs ram
>
> and thats about it...
>
> The main system is my current 486 dx2 66 machine which is also running
> freebsd.
>
> Does anyone have any insights/advice on using a 386 with my proposed config?
>
> Thanks, Don Littlefield II

Robert Watson (rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu) IDS/CS Double Major
School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University
SMC 1605 / P.O. Box 2888 / Pittsburgh, PA 15230-2888 // (412) 862-3197