Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:37:07 +0200
From:      Bruno Ducrot <ducrot@poupinou.org>
To:        Tz-Huan Huang <tzhuan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad t42 fn+f3 (Blank Screen)

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 04:50:02PM +0800, Tz-Huan Huang wrote:
> On 7/20/05, m.ehinger@ltur.de <m.ehinger@ltur.de> wrote:
> > If it helps, its the same behavior with 5.4 Release-p4.
> >
> > maik
>
> Its the same behavior in my Thinkpad X30 running 6-current (Jun 11):
> Fn+F3 doesn't work, Fn+F7 works on console but not in xorg 6.8.2.
> Other keys work perfectly.
>
> I can use ``xset dpms force off'' to turn off the LCD, but the back
> light is still on.
> I can set ``Option "MonitorLayout" "LFP+CRT"  '' in device section
> with i810 driver
> of xorg.conf to display on both LCD and CRT in X, but I can't switch
> it dynamically.

Thanks you both for sending me the ASLs for your machine.

Unfortunately, I can't help yet looking around those ASLs.

The problem are:

1- the _Q12 method (which should be called if pressing
Fn+F3 if I understand correctly a previous email) will call
\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY.MHKQ (0x1003)
and at the MHKQ() will then call '\UCMS (0x0D) (if Arg0 is 0x1003)',
which in turn will call SMI(...) which is a call to a SMI handler (since
it will output 'something' to io port 0xb2).  And it's pretty hard to
debug SMI handler somehow..

2- that method (MHKQ()) will also notify at the very end the device
'HKEY'.  That one is 'Name (_HID, EisaId ("IBM0068"))' and therefore is
a propritary "device".  We have to write a driver in order to handle
that 'notify' (and I must admit I don't know what to do even then).

Fortunately, there is enough materials under the video stuff.

Maybe looking for some sysctl will help if the acpi_video
device is enabled.

For the problem of switching videos between heads, I have to look
a little bit more, but I guess it is the same kind of issue.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.