Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:15:17 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Graphics card for new machine -- Radeon vs. GeForce?

Well, the time has finally come to retire the creaking old Pentium on my
desk and build a shiny new Athlon XP box :-)  So this is going to be the
first question of many along the lines of 'which of these wonderful devices
should I buy'...

First up -- graphics cards.  This box will be dual-booting Winblows and I
want to get something with decent 3D performance on that side (for entirely
serious purposes, like Unreal Tournament, obviously :-).  3D performance on
FreeBSD is not so important, although it would be nice, but fully
accelerated 2D for X is a must.

From reading various reviews and list archives it seems that the ATI Radeon
or nVidia GeForce 2/3 fit the bill and have solid 2D support in XFree86
4.x. Is there any particular reason to favour one of these over the other?
Are there any instances of cards using these chipsets that I should avoid,
or that come highly recommened?  All other things being equal I'm leaning
towards ATI simply because they seems to have a more reasonable attitute
towards the open source community, but if the nVidia stuff is known to work
better I could change my mind...

TIA,

	Scott