Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:40:49 +0100
From:      morten@hotpost.dk
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs OpenBSD

The cacophony of voices in my head
Inform me that Kris Kennaway said:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 07:19:57AM +0100, morten@hotpost.dk wrote:
>
> > OpenBSD is a more "full" UNIX, it has OpenSSH, sudo kerberos and such
> > installed in the base system.
>
> I take exception to this statement.  FreeBSD has those things either
> in the base system or the ports collection where they're a command
> away from being installed on your system (sudo).  It doesn't make it
> any more or less a "full" UNIX, IMO.

You're absolutely right, it came out wrong.

I should have written that OpenBSD is a more full OS; for my needs I
could make do with the OpenBSD base system, though I would like to have
Netscape also ... X isn't considered a part of the FreeBSD base system,
is it? It is in OpenBSD = audited code and kerberosIV support.

What I meant was that OpenBSD have more programs installed in the base
system than FreeBSD, e.g. lynx and apache, which I find to be very
important additions. I don't personally use apache, but many people
do.

> > OpenBSD have the best manpages I've ever seen, I love them.
>
> Could you explain in what ways you think they're better than the
> FreeBSD manpages?

Yes. I seem to find better references through 'man-k' in OpenBSD than
FreeBSD, and that's Good.

If you're a clueless newbie on OpenBSD you might type 'help' at the prompt
and you'll get it (the help manpage with pointers to man(1), whatis(1),
whereis(1), afterboot(8), and a short intro to UNIX commands).

The afterboot(8) manpage is a good addition, read it at
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=afterboot&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html to see what I'm talking about.

That's a Good Idea, in OpenBSD _I_ found a nice introduction to BSD YMMV.

FreeBSD does have a very good build system, and a huge ports collection,
a definite bonus for a (primarily) workstation user like me, and it has
a large userbase, more people to ask questons. :-)

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town the last two days, and
wouldn't abuse my friends' dialup lines for ssh'ing a reply from my
home machine ...

Regards
		Morten

--