Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 21:24:51 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Skynet1@Cris.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stuff

> 1) I mount an MSDOS disk by doing mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy,
> can I mount a UNIX or MAC disk too???

UNIX yes.  MAC ... I think there's something in the FreeBSD ports or
packages collection that does that ... tkhfs, or something.  I've
never tried it myself.  But Unix and MS-DOG filesystems I know work.

> 2) I can't seen to get the Ethernet card to be recognized (it shows
> it is the bootup but i can't do the device thing or whatever)

If it shows up in the bootup then all you have to do is assign an IP
address and netmask to it.  For example, if it's an Ethernet card
based on the DEC driver, type

        ifconfig de0 inet W.X.Y.Z netmask A.B.C.D

substituting the appropriate values.  If it's a Lance ethernet, use
`ln0' instead of `de0'.  If it's an Intel, try `ie0'.  If you don't
know what it is, type

        ifconfig -a

to list all Ethernet adaptors currently installed.

Finally, to automatically configure your card each time you boot up,
add its type to the entry network_interfaces in /etc/sysconfig, then
add an ifconfig entry for the card.  For example:

        network_interfaces="lo0 de0"
        ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
        ifconfig_de0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00"

> and I can't have com ports 3 and 4!!

Sure you can.  As I said before, either enable them at boot up time by
booting up with "-c" or make your own kernel with sio3 and sio4.

> it says that /dev/sio0 or 1 doesn't exist!  Where is the location of
> the special file that links to it?

Even though the kernel device drivers for the serial ports COM1, COM2,
COM3, and COM4 are called sio0, sio1, sio2, and sio3, the /dev entries
are

        /dev/cuaa0      For call-out on COM1
        /dev/cuaa1      For call-out on COM2
        /dev/cuaa2      For call-out on COM3
        /dev/cuaa3      For call-out on COM4
        /dev/ttyd0      For dial-in or generic use on COM1
        /dev/ttyd1      For dial-in or generic use on COM2
        /dev/ttyd2      For dial-in or generic use on COM3
        /dev/ttyd3      For dial-in or generic use on COM4

Type "man 4 sio" for more information.  If you're missing any of these
/dev entries, type

        cd /dev
        ./MAKEDEV cuaa0 cuaa1 cuaa2 cuaa3 ttyd0 ttyd1 ttyd2 ttyd3

to make sure they're all there.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov