Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 13:54:36 +0200
From:      Allards Martial Eboa Ngome <ngome@uni-wuppertal.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I can't boot up my system

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Sigh.  You didn't read TROUBLE.TXT did you?

I think so but Ididn't again something positiv ...
I Think you mind this:
Q: I go to boot from the hard disk for the first time after installing
   FreeBSD, but the Boot Manager prompt just prints `F?' at the boot
menu
   each time but the boot won't go any further.

A: The hard disk geometry was set incorrectly in the Partition editor
when
   you installed FreeBSD.  Go back into the partition editor and specify
   the actual geometry of your hard disk.  You must reinstall FreeBSD
   again from the beginning with the correct geometry.

It can be the problem because I have a old intel motherboard with a
Pentium 60 Mhz and a  2.5 GB hard disk, but I thought the OS is  capable
to identify the hard disk disk geometry (not that from the Bios)!!!!
But Linux is on the hard disk that mind the hard disk is well setting
!!!!

So if this is the problem can I boot my FreeBSD partition from a floppy
and How does I make a bootable floppy??

   If you are failing entirely in figuring out the correct geometry for
   your machine, here's a tip:  Install a small DOS partition at the
   beginning of the disk and install FreeBSD after that.  The install
   program will see the DOS partition and try to infer the correct
   geometry from it, which usually works.

   If you are setting up a truly dedicated FreeBSD server or work-
   station where you don't care for (future) compatibility with DOS,
   Linux or another operating system, you've also got the option to use
   the entire disk (`A' in the partition editor), selecting the
   non-standard option where FreeBSD occupies the entire disk from
   the very first to the very last sector.  This will leave all geometry
   considerations aside, but is somewhat limiting unless you're never
   going to run anything other than FreeBSD on a disk.

Thanks a lot
--
Allards Martial Eboa Ngome  ngome@uni-wuppertal.de
http://www.stud.uni-wuppertal.de/~la0048/frame.html