Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:53:01 +1100 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <tonym@biolateral.com.au>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel dies...

> > I get the same problem.  I did
> > mv /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<KERNEL> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<KERNEL>.old
> > and rebuilt.  Now make kernel works fine.
>
> Always,
>
>   # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
>
> Before you build(world|kernel) after updating source code.

rm -rf /usr/obj/usr can be useful if there are problems but I think always
is a bit strong.
If it was an absolute requirement then shouldn't the make process do this
by default?  (and have a flag not to do it for those who really know what they
are doing)

The handbook notes (refering to rm /usr/obj):

"You can speed up the ``make world'' process, and possibly save yourself
some dependency headaches by removing this directory as well."

But it does not read as an absolute requirement.

Should the handbook be changed?  And maybe note this requirement in
/usr/src/UPDATING?

thanks
--
tonym