Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:29:06 +0100
From:      erakupa@kk.etx.ericsson.se (ETX-B-SL Martti Kuparinen)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "ifconfig de0 media 10baseT/UTP" not working

> > I want to set my Digital Fast Ethernet card to 10 Mbit/s and
> > [...]
> > The driver reports (see the output below) that it is now in 10 Mbit/s
> > mode and "ifconfig de0" says the same.
> >
> > But the LED on the ethernet card (and Sun which is the gateway, i.e.
> > 192.168.15.129) says the card is in 100 Mbit/s mode.

> Try forcing the server down to 10mbit.

This is not a solution for me, because I have the following configuration

+----+
+----+     |
+----+   +---+   +---+
+----+   +---+   +---+
+----+     |
| H3 |-----+
+----+

G is SunOS 5.5.1 and it is possible to set the ethernet card to either
10 or 100 Mbit/s. So no problem here :-)

H[1-3] and R are all FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE with Digital Fast Ethernet
cards. I want to set those cards first to 10 Mbit/s and test my packet
schedulers (priority, WFQ, RED, RIO) when H1, H2 and H3 are all sending
via R at the same time. The destination machines are behind G.

Then I want to go up to 100 Mbit/s and see if FreeBSD can handle
300 Mbit/s incoming traffic, schedule it and send out max 100 Mbit/s.
It is however easier to work with 10 Mbit/s as the total amount of
incoming traffic is 30 Mbit/s.

And since H[1-3] are also FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE I'm stuck with this
strange "ifconfig media" thing :-(

/Martti