Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 21:44:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Kyle Mobley <kyle@mobley.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AfterStep 1.4.5.x

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Kyle Mobley wrote:

> I have allways used AfterStep 1.0 with X11 but now i would really like to
> get AfterStep 1.4.5 or even 1.4.x working under FreeBSD.
>
> I wanted to know if anyone has been able to do this?

Yes.

> Please let me know any info that might be of help.

The 1.4.5.0 compile fell over.  I had to patch to at least
1.4.5.3 to get a clean compile, that was two patches.  There are
3 patches to take it to 1.4.5.4 but each requires renaming the
toplevel directory, created by opening the original tar, between
each one.  Some don't apply due to spaces in file and directory
names.  All leave zero byte `file.name' and files with content
named `file.name.org' in various directories. Several .xpm and
.html files are left in the top level directory and need to be
moved to the appropriate places.  And one leaves a needed header
file in the top level directory rather than in src.

Once you get past that, run configure and xmkmf.  Edit Makefile
and delete apps/asmix, apps/asmixer, apps/asprint, apps/asmodem,
and afterdoc from the SUBDIRS line.

That compiled for me, YMMV.  Good luck.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null