Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:55:35 -0500
From:      B Briggs <rcbdyndns@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/fam build failure

Mark Ovens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to update my ports but devel/fam won't build. One of the errors
> mentions an old version of automake so I've uninstalled *all* versions
> of automake and autoconf and just reinstalled the latest versions
> (autoconf259 and automake19) but devel/fam still won't build.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

[snip]

I know that this is not a solution to devel/fam, but I just thought that
  I'd mention what I did last night when I ran into this:

1. removed devel/fam (cd /usr/ports/devel/fam && make deinstall)
2. changed /etc/make.conf:
	WITH_FAM_SYSTEM=gamin
You might want to add this line if you don't already have it, but you
          most likely have it.
3. cd /usr/ports/devel/gamin && make install
4. pkgdb -F (and replaced all fam to gamin)

At this point I was ready to check to see if any of the ports that had
required fam didn't work, openoffice, xine, gcalctool, etc, and I would
have rebuilt all of those. But there was no problem.

Anyway, I have a question: Why are there two ports here that do the same
thing? Some of my ports specify fam, some specify gamin, and of course I
have to have the WITH_FAM_SYSTEM var in make.conf to remove conflicts.
If the two DON'T do the same thing, what is the difference? Just asking.

--
B Briggs