Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:22:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        The Mad Scientist <madscientist@thegrid.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslog over serial

> Great, thanks.  What about connecting a few machines to a central logging
> server with this setup?  Will I have to get a board for the logging server
> with a number of parallel ports?  Can I get whatever hardware that is used
> to hook up multiple printers to a single machine?
> Thanks for the help,
> Dean

If you want to use parallel ports, it would be a neat trick to find a
board with 32 ports on it... :)  If you want to use serial ports instead,
(the easier way), pretty much any supported multi-serial card will work --
RocketPort and Cyclades are my preferred selections, but you can go with a
cheaper model if you want.  There probably won't be a whole LOT of data
running through them, so speed probably isn't an issue.

One of the main problems of running lots of "standard" serial or parallel
ports on a machine is that you start running out of I/O ports or
interrupts pretty quickly.

--mike