Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:02:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@parallelconsulting.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UVM vs FreeBSD VM system

> :Hi,
> :
> :How does the UVM system compare to the VM system in FreeBSD?  Are there
> :any benchmark tests or research results in this area?

speaking of virtual memory: a student of mine here finally completed
an implementation of a compressed VM system, running on 3.x
If anyone is interested in looking at this I can cleanup the code
and prepare a patchfile.

Pages candididates to pageout are tentatively compressed using a
very fast algorithm (basically a zero-removal thing, i have
a small paper on this on OSR April'97 issue, see
my web page http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/research.html)
and if they give good compression the page is not sent to disk
but saved to an area of ram set aside for the purpose.

It turns out that many programs (netscape etc. but perhaps compilers
as well, we haven't played too much with it) tend to leave pages
rather empty so the compression succeeds in many cases.

Of course we tried to preserve the advantages of clustering etc
(so we don't bother going through compression if many adjacent
pages go to disk anyways).

	cheers
	luigi