Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:43:49 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd problem

At 9:49 PM -0800 2/20/02, Dale Morris wrote:
>Newbie question..  I've been trying to get printing going on my new bsd
>4.5 system and not having too much success. I tried installing cups,
>first through the package and then the ports, but that didn't work. So I
>installed apsfilter and it printed out a fine testpage. Problem is that
>I can't get lpd to start on boot ( or any other way for that matter).
>
>Initially I install KDE and I believe it installed cups_base.

cups_base installs some useful libraries for programs which want
to do printing support, but it doesn't replace any of the system
commands which would do printing.

I think the cups port might replace commands.

>Here's what I've done so far..
>in etc/rc.conf entered a line.. lpd_enable="YES"
>
>created a file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d called lpd.sh containing:
>[ -x /usr/sbin/lpd] && /usr/sbin/lpd && echo -n " lpd"
>
>chmod +x lpd.sh
>
>Of course if I issue the command "whereis lpd" the following is
>returned:
>lpd: /usr/share/man/man8/lpd.8.gz /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr/lpd

I wonder how your system got into this state.  lpd is part of the
base system.  all you should need to do is the lpd_enable=YES step,
and everything else should just be there and work.  (you would have
to add entries to /etc/printcap, of course).

>I would install the lprng package, but that is dependant on lpd
>isn't it?

lprNG is an alternative to the standard system lpd.  it replaces it.

>When I go from single to multi-user I get an error message that
>/usr/sbin/lpd can't be found (or something to that effect). Looking
>in /usr/sbin/ there is only lptcontrol and lptest there.
>
>Can someone point me in the direction to go from here?

I'm not sure why things are the way they are on your system, and it
might be that cups has installed an alternate program which would
be accepting print jobs.  What do you get from:
     whereis lpr
?  is there one on /usr/local/bin?