Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:12:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Henrik Holmstam <turbo@lamering.org>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   app-level ftp-proxy and transparent proxying.

Hello,

Is there anyone out there who has successfully set up an app-level
ftp-proxy doing transparent proxying on a recent -STABLE machine?

The ones I'm talking about are those you can find in the ports tree (frox,
jftpgw and proxy-suite). I've tried all of these and they all work fine
until you enable transparent proxying. The problem seems to be that they
cannot detect where the ftp-client wants to connect.

In this case I'm using IPFilter to redirect the packets to the ftp-proxy,
I haven't tried ipfw, but it really shouldn't matter. (Of course i've read
all the docs and manuals; jftpgw and proxy-suite even have HOWTOS on
setting them up correctly.)

I would really like to hear from someone who has managed to get this
working (I'm not really sure it is possible by judging from the hours
I've spent on this issue).

Regards,
Henrik Holmstam