Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:41:38 +0100
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 tables?

On Wednesday 06 Aug 2008, freebsd-ipfw-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 16:42:25 Max Laier wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 August 2008 16:33:04 Matt Dawson wrote:
> > > Just a quick question: What would it take to have similar functionali=
ty
> > > to the IPv4 tables in ipfw for v6? Is there a specific reason it isn't
> > > there (other than the fact that I haven't got my finger out and learnt
> > > the neccessary to add it myself ;) )?
> >
> > In FreeBSD 7 and above all three firewall packages included with FreeBSD
> > understand both IPv4 and IPv6. =A0Read the ipfw(8) man page for details=
 on
> > how to setup IPv6 rules.
>
> Oh wait ... you asked something different. =A0Yeah, that would be nice to
> have. =A0 pf does it. =A0If you need a reference.

I did notice pf had tables that can handle both v4 and v6. I hadn't thought=
 of=20
reading pf's code to see how it's done, although pf's tables seem to handle=
=20
handle both versions (without looking at the code, just the manpage).  I'm=
=20
now wondering which approach would be less resource-hungry: Adding a=20
separate "table6" structure or modifying tables to accept v6. The former, t=
o=20
my mind, is more economical with large tables.

Thanks to you and Julian for the replies. Looks like I have some code and=20
things to read through.
=2D-=20
Matt Dawson.

matt@chronos.org.uk