Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:20:30 +0800
From:      "Derek Barrett" <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>
To:        "David Miller" <dmiller@sparks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  RAID: Adaptec vs Mylex

We chose the Adaptec 2400A for its friendly compatibility with
FreeBSD. FreeBSD 4.4 and 4.5 have both detected it instantly,
and there were no conflicts with another RAID card in our
chassis, it liked both. Adaptec seems to be the only company
out there that goes out of its way to support ATA RAID for
FreeBSD. Of all the companies we looked at, support was marginal
at best. Though the SCSI cards had alot more FreeBSD support.

The RAID utilities that come with it also have native FreeBSD
versions, one is written as a package, and another will install
through a setup script. Very handy. 2400A supports RAID0,1,5, and
10. I read today some documentation regarding RAID 0/5, but we only
have one Adaptec card right now so I don't know if that is working on
this particular this card.

Another comment is that their customer service seems to be
well done from what I have seen so far. I asked a couple of
questions by email last night, and they were responded back
today, and the answers they gave me were very helpful and professional.

The only thing I was disappointed about was that we could not change
the stripe size on RAID10 (which is set to 64K). You can change
the stripe size on the RAID0 and RAID5, they go from 8K to 256K.
So we are using RAID5 with a 16K stripe size. For you database users
using smaller block sizes, it looks like you'd have to stick
with RAID5 on this card.

Does anyone out there use a small stripe size on their RAID10?
Like 8K or 16K? Does going to the small stripe size defeat the
purpose of the RAID10, and possibly that's why it is stuck at
64K on this card? (In this case, since there are two RAID 1
arrays within the RAID0, the actual stripe to those becomes
32K, since 64/2 = 32K, but that's still too big for our
purposes).