Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:25:44 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        John <john@starfire.mn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of the frying pan...

On Thursday 13 January 2005 05:05 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 05:01:25PM -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 January 2005 04:18 pm, John wrote:

> Thanks, Andrew - any advice on the kde versus kde-lite thing?  I've
> been looking around, and I can't find a clear description of how
> they differ...

This is from the kde-lite port MAKEFILE:

WITHOUT_KDEVELOP=       yes
WITHOUT_KDEEDU=         yes
WITHOUT_KDENETWORK=     yes
WITHOUT_KDESDK=         yes
WITHOUT_KDETOYS=        yes
WITHOUT_KDEWEBDEV=      yes
WITHOUT_KOFFICE=        yes

Given the space limitations, I'd make a list of things you do on the
computer that's covered by KDE apps.   Then, install kde-lite and see
if anything is missing.  If something's missing, install the individual
port.

For example, if you use kppp (a nifty, ppp dialup program), which is in
kdenetwork; so you would install it using the port
at /usr/ports/net/kdenetwork3.

Since you use OpenOffice, however, you don't need koffice taking up
space.

Best regards,

Andrew Gould