Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:02:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop for FreeBSD - advice sought

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Donald Burr wrote:

> The notebook I am considering is the CTX EZ350D.

Some observances...

I have a CTX EzBook, which I believe is the model previous to this one.
I have had no end of trouble with it, particularly under OS/2.  I haven't
tried BSD on it, since this is my "get work done" computer (as opposed to
my BSD box, which is my play toy).

> IntelDX4/100 CPU
> 	This should work.  Hopefully the APM features will work with the
> 	FreeBSD apm0 driver?

Watch out, some may have Cyrix CPUs.  :(

> Touchpad (as opposed to a mouse or trackball -- one of those things that
> looks like a miniature graphics tablet, you move your finger on it and
> the pointer moves)

I've had tracking problems on these.  It really depends on how clean your
fingers are and how much gunk is on the pad.

> 	Hopefully this is PS/2 mouse compatible (or however laptop pointing
> 	devices are emulated?)  Works with XFree?

It's a PS/2.

> 8 MB RAM expandable to 32 MB
> 	I know, 16 would be better, but I've run on 8 before, with no probs.

Be happy, the memory is dirt cheap compared to say, Compaq laptops.

> 10.4" active matrix color display
> 	Nothing unusual here...

It's a nice one too.

> builtin 16 bit sound card
> 	Is it SB16 compatible?  Or will it work with the FreeBSD snd driver?

I haven't rigorously tried it for SB16 compatibility.  Mine is a ES688
AudioDrive, which sounds great.

> Removable NiMH battery
> 	Nothing unusual here...

Get a spare battery.  The thing will vacuum battery without power saving.

> 3.5" 1.44m floppy disk
> 	Just as long as I can boot the FreeBSD bootdisk, I'm happy...

They only complaint is that if I access the floppy under OS/2, I get a
Trap 2...works OK under DOS/Windoze.  ?  I think it's the Cyrix.

> 32-bit VLB Windows accelerator with 1 MB VRAM
> 	Chipset?  XFree86 compatible?  I don't need >256 colors but would
> 	be nice...

Mine is a Western Digital 90xxx...hey, you can get 16 bit color off the
thing!  :-)

> 1 Type II, 1 Type III PCMCIA slot
> 	What's the status re FreeBSD and PCMCIA?  I would ideally like to
> 	stick to a RELEASE or STABLE version, but if I must run CURRENT,
> 	I can cope.  Is this PCMCIA controller supported?  What PCMCIA
> 	devices are supported?  (I'm interested in modems, network cardsk,
> 	and SCSI cards.)

Someone recommended the pc-card support, we have that on a Dell Latitiude
LX and it works great.  Instructions walk you through step-by-step, is
absolutely painless to install.

> EPP parallel, high-speed serial, sound in/out, external monitor, and
> external PS/2 keyboard ports
> 	Good, the serial ports have 16550's.  I suppose I should be able
> 	to run a external modem off one of these, if I can't/don't want to
> 	run with PCMCIA devices?

I believe it's a 16550.  I have a Megahertz 28.8 PCMCIA, but I do drive a
high-speed wireless modem with it and no problems.

I would recommend trying the machine before buying it.  Make sure you
like the design and whatnot.  The only other complaint I have is the
thing is flimsy -- the case is a flexible plastic and it lets the screen
wiggle and doesn't feel that solid.

This is the next modem so they may have fixed the problems with my EzBook.