Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:42:01 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Athlon and 4.2 Release

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:40:23PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> Derek Tattersall writes:
> > I have a 1 GHz Thunderbird (Athlon) on an ASUS A7V Via KT133 chipset
> > with an IBM ultra 100 30 Gig Hard drive.  If I let the HDD be auto
> > detected, 4.2 Release terminates at the point it is going to partition
> > the drive.  If I set the HDD for LBA with all the options disabled,
> > it reboots in the middle of the boot sequence, after the "press enter
> > to boot now prompt".
>
> I boot my 800 MHz A7V from SCSI. And replaced the MB out from under an
> installed system. 9G on SCSI, 45G Maxtor on the on-board ATA-100.
>
> For this MB to run reliably under load I had to select "BIOS Defaults",
> and maybe also "System Performance Setting" from "Optimal" to "Normal".
> Also disabled "PCI Master Read Caching" and "Delayed Transaction".
> Something in there was causing problems under load. The situation might
> also surface during installation.

Strange because i have here installed FreeBSD 4.2-Stable on an Abit KT7 Raid
which has the same chipset, and runs an Athlon 1.1 Ghz. I have loaded all
optimal settings in the Bios to enhance speed, and all works beautifully,
including UDMA speed for the disk (here a Western Digital).

--
Michel Talon