Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 07:19:39 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make aout-to-elf failures (from 2.2.7-RELEASE to -current ELF)

Andreas Klemm wrote:
> After a "make includes" and repeating
> 	make aout-to-elf
>
> I get the failures earlier ...
>
> I put a complete log of the output of the make aout-to-elf run
> into my homedir for evaluation.
>
> /d/users/andreas/make-aout-to-elf-failures
> -rw-r--r--   1 andreas  andreas  135732 Jan  1 14:30 make.log.gz
> -rw-r--r--   1 andreas  andreas  249209 Jan  1 09:31 make.log.old.gz
>
> Or is it recommended to upgrade to the latest 2.2-STABLE and
> then to -current ELF ... Well, will try that ...

There is no point trying to convert from 2.2.anything to current due
to bootstrap breakage in current. This was introduced when changes
were made to rpcgen which required current headers. The initial bootstrap
must use the _installed_ headers and libraries to build the tools
that are needed to build the includes and the libraries. Any change to
tools like rpcgen which cannot use the installed headers and libraries
shouldn't be committed.

The include files should only be installed with the libraries they
match. Doing a `make includes' on its own will _cause_ a mismatch.

Until the breakage is fixed, it is best to go though the upgrade
procedure with 3.0-RELEASE sources. There is no way you can upgrade
with current.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137