Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 15:12:22 +0100
From:      "Colin Nugent" <colinn@cyserv1.cybase.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Starting X

Dear Sir,

                 Have searched the manual FAQ's etc, and XFREE86, for
reference to the following;

          I am able to get an X server running by accessing /usr/X11R6/bin
and running the server from there. If I use startx or xinit I get a message
saying the server is not in the path.

2 Questions, please.

1 Which file do I edit to put the path to the server, so I can use startx?
2 When I get a server running as described above, I cannot get any windows
or colour, just the mouse pointer on a grey background. How do I get the
window manager to appear?

I am running a Cyrix P200 MMX 32mb Ram S3 trio 64+ 2mb.

I would be grateful for any help you can provide,

                                                    Thanks Colin.

Colinn