Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:04:55 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        <ports@toco-domains.de>
Subject:   Re: [New Port] Working on Gitlab - Calling for Help and Ideas

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:27:11 +0200 Torsten Zuehlsdorff
<mailinglists@toco-domains.de> wrote

> Hello,
>
> i'm currently working at an Gitlab-port. I've never done this type of
> port before, so i'm having a hard time to come along.
>
> At the moment there is a basic Makefile, distinfo and pkg-descr. It's
> already possible to fetch the port and extract it into the workdir.
>
> There is a bunch of tasks left. At the moment there is a big list of
> RUN_DEPENDS. I'm not even sure if every item is mandatory. I'm just
> trying to transform this guide into a port:
> https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlab-recipes/blob/master/install/freebsd/freebs
> d-10.md
>
> I also could not figure out if my solution to copy the stage-dir into
> /usr/local/www/gitlab is correct.
>
> At the end gitlab needs some rc-scripts and more installation routines.
> I'm not sure where to draw the line; which task should the port handle
> and which must be done by the administrator.
>
> Therefore - if anyone is interested in this port or has some experience
> with running gitlab at FreeBSD: please share your minds. I will do my
> best to get this port running :)
>
> I've attached the current work. It is at very, very early stage.
>
> Very actual results/updates are keep in SVN with reading-access for
> everyone:
> svn://svn.toco-domains.de/freebsd-ports/www/gitlab
I'm pretty busy ATM. But if you haven't already, *do* read:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
it addresses the questions you've asked fairly well.
As to rc(5), and config related files in ${PREFIX}/etc
there are a good number of working examples in net-mgmt, dns,
sysutils, and perhaps www, to draw from.

Hope this helps!

--Chris