Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2019 11:58:23 +0530
From:      Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How are modern processor instructions exposed to userland?

Hello,

I have been wondering about this, and couldn't find an answer on the Web
because I didn't know what to search for.

Let's think about the AVX-512 instruction introduced with the latest
Intel Core i9 Skylake-X processor.
I wanted to know how one could use such capabilities via regular C.

There should be some way, someone working on the FreeBSD core who would
expose that instruction capability to the userland via libc, right?
If my assumption is correct, may I know who does that? And, how do they
go about doing it?
Obviously, knowledge of x86-64 assembler would be a must, so would
knowledge of C89; right?

Thanks,

~Mayuresh