Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 17:35:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      Chris Dabrowski <chris@vader.org>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: system hangs with current kernel...?

In a previous message, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> 	This is getting slightly annoying, so I figured I'd bring it to
> the list...
>
> 	Has anyone noticed a recent problem with the -current kernel
> that is causing system hangs?  I've seen the reports going through
> about panics in the NFS area and whatnot, but nothing in particular
> dealing with actually hangs...
>
> 	I'm running -current as of about Sunday night, and this morning
> the system locked up completely as if it was a SCSI bus hang...something
> I haven't experienced in *many* months on that machine.  It did it last
> night too, and I recompiled a kernel with debugging enabled, but, of course,
> if it doesn't panic, it doesn't dump core :(

Yes, it happens to me too. However, I've noticed one strange phenomenon.
Before the system hangs completely, connections to port 119 (INN 1.4unoff4)
timeout whilst other services (21, 25, etc) are unaffected. Maybe it's
because INN uses the disk intensively and hence hammers the SCSI code
more.

I'm not much of a hacker myself but are there any tests or info that I
can provide to help?

chris@tatooine.vader.org:/home/chris $ uname -a
FreeBSD tatooine.vader.org 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0: Wed Oct 16 23:57:37 BST 1996     chris@tatooine.vader.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/TATOOINE  i386

Pentium 100