Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:00:07 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   NetApp PostMark ported to FreeBSD?

Folks,

	I've searched the web (via several engines) and DejaNews, but
unfortunately the FreeBSD.org website appears to be unreachable (for
me, at least) at the moment, so I can't search the web pages or the
mailing list archives.  I'm also not sure that this is the correct
place to be asking this question, so any assistance or advice you can
provide in this area would be appreciated.

	Anyway, I was going through Nework Appliance's website, and ran
across this benchmark program they had created (see
<http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3022.html>) to do large numbers
of filesystem-level tests (creating randomly sized files, directories
with randomly distributed numbers of files and subdirectories,
etc...) and some pretty extensive tests that they ran on this dataset.

	It looks to me to be a much better OS/filesystem-level benchmark
than bonnie, so I was interested in using it to further extend the
low-level raw disk device testing that I'm going to be doing with
rawio on various configurations of vinum logical volumes, as well as
ccd and whatever other hardware caching RAID controllers I can lay my
hands on.

	Unfortunately, the source code no longer seems to be available
from their web site.  Anybody know if this ever got ported to
FreeBSD?  Or if perhaps there are comparable types of
OS/flesystem-level tests that do run under FreeBSD?

	Thanks!

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.