Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:48:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Yi-feng Li <yifeng@ecsl.cs.sunysb.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   no subject (file transmission)

Dear Sir,

   My name is Yi-Feng Li.  I am a graduate student, studying in the SUNY at
Stony Brook.  Currently, I am doing my master project about IP Firewall on
the BSD 2.1.6.  To do this project, I have to modify the kernel source code.
My major job is working on the /sys/netinet/ directory.  According to the lack
of knowledge and experience, I have getten some problems and can not solve.
I hope you can help me.

   My problems are as followings:

1) How to get the system time and user time, used by a process, in the kernel?
   I have tried to use getrusage() function in the /sys/kern/kern_resource.c,
   but it won't work.  I can not reboot the machine successfully.  I bet I
   have done something wrong; neither this is not a good way to do it nor I do
   not use it currectly.

2) How to open a file and write messages into the file in the kernel?

   Your help will be appreciated!!  Thanks!!

Yi-Feng Li
yifeng@ecsl.cs.sunysb.edu