Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:46:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        bigbambo <bigbambo@amanu-jyaku.turds.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: weird problem

Hi bigbambo,

[...please tell Mutt to wrap your lines at most 80 characters per line...]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, bigbambo wrote:

> I am having a very strange problem with my 2 freebsd boxes. They
> are on a lan with like 25 other computers. When I download files
> from one of the freebsd boxes i get around 10mb/s, but when i
> upload to the freebsd boxes i max out around 90-100k/s. I am able
> to upload from the same non-freebsd box to any of the other
> non-freebsd boxes on the lan at around 10mb.

It could be a lot of things, but it is usualy a hardware problem.  If
you have the time, you might want to swap NICs, cables, etc.

> I am using the stock ftpd on both freebsd boxes. Is there some
> conf that i am not finding that says limit upload bandwidth or
> something?

There were recently some delayed ACK fixes in FreeBSD, which earlier
cause problems in rare situations (when FreeBSD is receiving large
windows of data.)  It is rare, but you can try turning delayed ACKs
off with:

  sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

but if it doesn't help, I would leave it on.  Anyway, my first guess
would be hardware problems somewhere along the line.

-Paul.