Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:16:21 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Creating a custom install disk

I have a number of servers that I am going to be updating to FreeBSD 7
from 6.2.  I have built a new base system with all the configurations
and ports and local code that I need.  This process takes about 2 days
from the distribution CDs.  I need a way to clone this machine and
install on the others.

My first idea was a custom install disk.  The make release process
does not appear to do what I want.  It would install a GENERIC kernel
and take the config files from the distribution.

LiveCD was tried, but it fails with numerous attempts to write to
directories that do not exist.  I expect I could manually create those
directories, but I am not sure what it would actually install since it
too builds a new GENERIC (but slightly modified) kernel.

I tried creating a dump file of the new machine and restoring it on
the old one.  I did root first and was going to then do /usr, but the
alterations to root were such that the system just couldn't keep going
through the process.  That what I had expected, but it was worth a try.

I have not tried this, but perhaps it might work.  Creating the dump
files on the new machine, booting the old from the live filesystem cd,
recreating the filesystems on disk and then restoring from the dump
files on the new system.  That would require a good net connection
between the 2 machines.

Is there a better way to do this?