Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2006 00:36:11 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pf + ipv6 + keep state - any known issues?

Hello,

I am using pf on a 6.1 machine. I have a tunneling interface (gif0) for my
IPv6 feed. The problem I am having is connecting to myself in spite of
firewalling.

I am allowing traffic on port 22 to my public ipv6 address. I am also allowing
all outgoing traffic on the tunneling interface, with 'keep state'.

ping6:ing myself works, but connecting to port 22 does not. The intial SYN
gets through and is responded to by an ACK, but that ACK is seemingly
dropped. This inspite of the fact that 'pfctl -s state' shows a tracked
connection for the relevant port pair.

I can work around it by allowing all packets from my own IP on the tunneling
interface, but as far as I know this should not be required. That is,
connection tracking should be working even for local connections on a
particular interface - correct?

Note that connecting to port 22 works perfectly from outside IP:s (I had
someone external verify this) without any special casing of the rules. That
is, I only have the usual rules for allowing the incoming packets to port 22,
and the rule allowing outgoing packets with 'keep state'. The fact that this
allows successful establishment to port 22 by an external party suggests to
me that I have not made some trivial misstake in the rule - yet connections
to myself do not work.

My question is whether there are any known issues that this sounds like - or
of course if there is some reason why this is not supposed to work by design.

Thank you,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org