Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:00:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Mahood <jim@mahood.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't unlink kernel

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:

+On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 08:54:29PM -0500, Jim Mahood wrote:
+> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:
+> +
+> +Go to the URL above and click on the link, then read the explanation
+> +of securelevel.  You can't unset it without rebooting.  If you can,
+> +it's a bug.
+> +
+>
+> I have, and I understand that I can't unset it -- that would defeat its
+> purpose.  I'm supposed to be able to boot into single-user mode, and it's
+> supposed to not be set, but I'm not seeing that behavior.
+
+What exactly is not working? Are you saying you are dropping back to
+single-user mode from multi-user? That does not work with
+FreeBSD. init(8) says,
+
+                          Since the level can not be reduced, it will be at
+     least 1 for subsequent operation, even on return to single-user.
+
+Note however, this behavior does vary between *BSDs. By default, when
+you bring OpenBSD to single-user from multi-user, the securelevel
+drops.
+
+> I was able to
+> change the values set in /etc/rc.conf, and reboot, but would prefer to
+> know why the single-user method wouldn't work for me.  I think I see what
+> I have to do -- boot -s at the boot prompt, huh?
+
+Right. How else were you trying to boot to single-user mode? Were you
+dropping from multi-user?

Yes, that's what I was doing, so your quote from init's manual explains my
problem 100%.

Dima -- it's not a question of "unsetting" the security level.  The
security level gets set when it is read from rc.conf, which init does when
entering multi-user mode.  It doesn't do this in single-user mode.  It's
right there in the init manual -- it's a feature, not a bug. :)