Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:37:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Jake Burkholder <jake@k7.locore.ca>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preliminary proposed rollup of kernel submap initialization code

:
:Matt Dillon wrote:
:>     I don't follow.  The argument passing and pointer arithmatic is not
:>     expensive at all - in fact, it is less expensive then the original MD
:>     code if you look at the assembly output!  And who really gives a damn
:>     about a few nanoseconds during boot anyway?
:
:I was just thinking that, wherever possible, the reference should
:supply easy to understand C code that can be replaced by platform
:specific assembly versions, when necessary.  The issue with the
:pointer pass is that it'll be a bit harder to code an assembly
:..

    You lost me.  This is one-time single-execution code.  Unless you
    are planning on rewriting the entire FreeBSD OS in assembly there
    is no issue.

:Uh, I complained that the declaration was _NOT_ static... that's
:what made the pointer reference to it so curious: it was already
:available as a global, so it didn't make sense why you were passing
:its address around, and then doing pointer math on it, instead of
:just referencing the elements directly.

    This isn't designed for general use.  It's because there are
    two different source files in i386/i386 (blah/blah) that access
    the structure.  Otherwise I would have happily made it static.
    I'm sure the extern is in the wrong place, but I believe Bruce
    is planning on fixing that.

						-Matt