Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:43:46 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Eric Yellin <eric@migvan.co.il>
Cc:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problem with su

Eric Yellin wrote:

>When I "su -m" and login as root, all I get in the prompt is a % sign. My
>normal user shell is tcsh and the prompt looks like this:
>[eric@www4]/home/eric(29): but this is not kept when I su -m.
>How can I change this?
>Thanks,
>Eric

Seems a tad unusual.  Don't know if I can help,
but can you give me some info?

a. What is root's "shell" entry in /etc/passwd?

b.  From whence do you set your "normal" prompt?  /~/.cshrc?

If the machine is not used by others, a quick
workaround might be to simply copy your .cshrc
to /root/ and simply use "su".  But it does seem
a tad weird that "su -m" seems to be reading some
other resource file...or else my understanding of
"-m" is broken, which is entirely possible.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.