Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:17:21 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        kevin <freebsd@vmuniz.ml.org>
Cc:        malcolmn <malcomn@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modem hookup

--==_Exmh_-817927288P

If memory serves me right, kevin wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, malcolmn wrote:
>
> > Any one successful using @home cable modem with bsd. I am looking
> > at putting a couple of ethernet cards into a bsd box and using
> > it as a proxy server for the other 5 pc's on my home network.
>
> Yes, you need a DHCP client. You can get one from
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/net.html .

YMMV.  The incarnation of the @Home service I'm using (TCI.NET in the San
Francisco Bay Area) doesn't use or require DHCP.  So for me, I just brought
the machine up with a new IP address, netmask, etc. and "it just worked".

Bruce.

PS.  Security tip:  When you bring your machine up on the cable modem network,
make it "as secure as possible", especially if you want to leave it up 24/7.
You can start by turning off all the services you don't use.  I have tracks of
a lot of Bad Guys (TM) doing portscans and other random nasty things to my
@Home-connected machine.

--==_Exmh_-817927288P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNc8rIKjOOi0j7CY9AQE/9gP/du8+/NIwmOiiD08AU3Qda7IykBQIQxLC
JsA2GUsxG9limUkBQSrnKx8PR69yoSRAppcY7/ySR0C1IFRrGNVJxyExrshIaSLt
NBHFPq4yGgintaNt7sECkY8nIOVr9OgfFONM9cRe0udydnaCFzKP6A4Q2IshjcW1
7amycT/Qj5M=
=XKPw
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-817927288P--