Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:55:33 +0800
From:      victor@outblaze.com
To:        "FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@freebsd.org" <FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to determine usage of share memory of each process?

In linux the shared memory used by each process is listed as part of the
'top' result (SHARE).  but under freebsd, I am having trouble locating
any index that suggest the usage of shared memory by each process.

The story is, our company has recently switched some linux base web
server running apache and mod_perl, to freebsd.  The switch was fairly
smooth.  The same config I used in linux works perfectly under freebsd.
However, I hit into this shared memory problem when I try to adjust the
libraries preloaded into mod_perl.  Before with linux I can tell if any
additional library loaded via use of startup.pl would help mod_perl
memory usage by watching the fluctation of the RSS and SHARE field.  But
with the SHARE field missing under freebsd, I'm no longer able to
determine the gain/lost of any modification I made.

I would really appreciate any help on the topic, or if you know any good
web site that inlcude tips of tuning mod_perl under freebsd, please
kindly forward them to me.

Many Thanks.

Tor.