Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:59:10 -0700
From:      snacktime <snacktime@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: server locks up when unable to allocate swap

On 9/17/05, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:
>=20
> snacktime wrote:
> > A FBSD 4.7 server this morning locked up and when I got to the data=20
> center I
> > found a bunch of IO error messages saying the pager couldn't allocate=
=20
> needed
> > swap space (or something close to that). Unfortunately these messages=
=20
> didn't
> > get logged anywhere that I could find and I didn't have anything on me=
=20
> > write them down. The server has 500mb ram and is usually using about 70=
%=20
> of
> > that. The server didn't panic, but the console was not responsive so I=
=20
> had
> > to do a cold reboot. Everything came back up fine.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>=20
> You ran out of swapspace, probably. How big is your swap partition, and=
=20
> did
> you notice unusually high number of processes running?

1 GB swap, 500mb ram. I looked in the logs for all the processes that were=
=20
running and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. My feeling is that =
I=20
ran out of swap also, although it's bugging me because I can't yet find wha=
t=20
caused it.

You are running a version of FreeBSD which is significantly out-of-date, an=
> you ought to consider updating to 4.11. You should also update your ports=
=20
> or
> at least run portaudit to see whether the Apache, MySQL, and so forth are=
=20
> OK.

All the ports are up to date. I've been putting off upgrading the server,=
=20
but it does have most of the security patches applied.

Chris