Date:      Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:20:23 -0500
From:      Skylar Thompson <skylar@cs.earlham.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hangs with UFS2 snapshots

--------------enig2078B3F5AAE2943D5EF0B153

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE on a dual processor P-III, with 512MB
RAM and a Mylex AcceleRAID controller.  I'm trying to do live filesystem
backups to a hot-spare system with UFS2 snapshots. I create the
snapshots with mksnap_ffs, mount them, and then rsync the data over to
the hot spare over NFS. I can very reliably cause the system to hang on
disk requests to certain filesystems, requiring a reboot. I can also get
this to happen with dump's "-L" option, but have yet to experience it
with background fscks. Has anyone experienced this, or know of a fix?

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/