Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 01:55:52 +0200
From:      Milon Papezik <milon.papezik@oskarmobil.cz>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

David Greenman wrote:

> >At the moment I have a spare machine
> >and the NIC available for testing.
> >
> >Please let me know if you are interested
> >in my offer to test your patches to 4.0 driver?
>
>    Thanks, Milon. I've attached patches which I believe will fix the problem
> as seen with the Compaq cards/motherboards, SuperMicro motherboards, and
> certain newer Pro/100+ cards. Please test and let me know if they work for
> you. I've tested this with (Compaq and Pro/100+) cards that some FreeBSD users
> shipped to me a few months ago when the problem was first noticed, and the
> driver now works fine with those. The algorithm for sizing the SEEPROM was
> taken from the NetBSD version of the driver. Thanks for your patience.

Yupeee! Works like a champ.

It would be nice to see it commited as it fixes the problem.

The only thing remaining is that the card is reported as
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B (which used to have i82557),
but it's a card with i82559.

This can be detected by reading the revision code of
integrated PHY (registers 2 and 3) through MDI in CSR space
(pg. 87 in i82559 datasheet or pg. 67 for i82559ER).

The value is different for i82558 and i82559[ER].
It is 0x02A8:0150 for i82558 and 0x02A8:0154 for both 82559
and i82559ER.

Do you plan to change/improve the card/chipset
reporting mechanism?

	Thanks a lot!
	Milon
--