Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 13:17:43 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile between cvsup's

j mckitrick wrote:

> just to be sure....
>
> after cvsupping, i *always* have to follow this procedure, correct?
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel

Yes, except I think this just built GENERIC and not KERNEL=MYKERNEL.

> make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> shutdown (single user)
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot
>
> now, if i am just hacking around with my kernel, changing the configuration
> file, playing with drivers, testing code, etc, i can use the old method,
> correct?
>
> cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> config MYKERNEL
> cd ../../compile MYKERNEL
                  /
                 ^^^
Hopefully these are just typo's but I have aliases that take me to
these places. If you do an ll (ls -lA) from /, you will see that
/sys/... is the same as /usr/src/sys/...

> make depend && make && make all install
>
> or do i still need to use the new target 'make buildkernel' which seems to
> take much longer?  if i must follow the second, is there a way to shorten
> the build time?

I've done it both ways. I haven't done a "make all install" but just a
"make install". I added something and the make install loaded the
modules. So, I don't know if you are saving any time.

Kent

> jm
> --
> i'm tired of signatures.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg