Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:29:08 +0100
From:      James Mansion <james@wgold.demon.co.uk>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > database server.  And you'd need a growth path beyond uniprocessor
> > Intel, which
> > free UNIXen (including Linux, as far as I'm concerned) don't have now.
>
> freebsd doesn't have multiple intel processor support?
> is this true?

There is an SMP kernel under development.  As there is one for Linux.
But neither system has this as the core kernel line and neither
is finished or robust.

So the answer is 'no'.  If you want SMP, you get NT, UnixWare,
or Solaris.  Or OS/2 if you really insist.

Others might view it as a 'yes', but until its standard and has
enough miles under its belt, I think that's naive.

James