Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:12:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dara@salk.edu (Dara Ghahremani)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing network cards

> I apologize for not being more specific about this, I do get a keyboard
> response, but not a system response - i.e. control-D and C appear as ^C
> or ^D on the screen and no response returns other than the characters
> that appear on the screen.
>
> I will check on the SCSI situation that you wrote about now.

It's possible that you have a bad chipset.  What chipset do you have
(if you know) and do you have more than 16M of RAM?  Also, if you
disable the L1 and L2 cache in the BIOS setup, does the problem go
away?  Are you running IDE?  If so, do you have a CMD640b IDE
controller chip and two or more disks?  You need to provide more
specific information about the machine... if it is hanging where
^C and ^D can't interrupt it, it may be that you are running a
shell which is trying to do a DNS lookup (and failing), in which
case it will eventually come back, OR it may be that your shell
image is being corruped as it is loaded into memory, either from
stale cache data because of your chipset, or even bad cache RAM
or main memory, OR the freeze-up is occuring in the disk driver
because of some hardware problem (like a CMD640b with two or more
devices on it or a WD IDE drive slaved to a non-WD IDE drive, etc.).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.