Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:11:00 +0100
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WARNS=6 changes

Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org> writes:
> > I don't like it.  I don't want yet another knob to be added in every
> > damn Makefile in the tree.  We should warn by default for these things.
> > Since we adopted GCC3 and often use C99 features these days, it seems
> > clear C99 should be the default standard for warnings.
>
> So put 'CSTD?=c99' in /etc/make.conf and let those of us who are more
> interested in parking our bikes than in admiring the paint job get on
> with our lives.

If you really want to see the job done fast, you could have let me
commit the patch I posted on arch@ to begin with.  Alternately, you
could show me how your patch does things better than mine, and how the
issues Bruce and I raised are wrong.  I'm always open to comments and
suggestions, and am ready to change my mind.  Being disrespectful and
harsh isn't going to get us anywhere, and it's inappropriate, especially
since this is a public forum.

Cheers,
Maxime