Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:22:17 -0600
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux opera port hangs my system

I was just trying to run the linux opera port (supposed to be a fast
web browser), and everytime I run it, it totally locks my system up.
This is on a 5.0-current system built a little more than a week ago.

After the first couple of hangs, I decided to try and catch it so I could
debug it a bit by starting it and then switching to vty0.
From the first vty, I ran top and saw that opera was causing the
system to run in system mode 99.9%, and it drove the load avg. up
over 3 by the time it hung.  Opera's state was "POLL" the entire time.

When the system hung, I couldn't even break out the to debugger, which
makes it pretty tough to figure out what exactly was going on.

Anyone else seen this, or am I just lucky?  Any ideas?  Other linux
ports run just fine, and the machine has always been rock solid in
the past (AMD K6-3 400mhz, 256MB, more info available on request).

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com