Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:28:46 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting Linux software & installing libraries

Bill Fenner wrote:

> I'm trying to port some software that wants Linux libSDLx11.so.0.9.9
> and libforms.so.0.88 .  They provide binary versions of these libraries
> on their FTP server, so the easiest thing to do is to fetch the program
> along with the libraries and install them all.
>
> Is this the right way to do it?  Should I create linux_libsdlx11
> and linux_libforms ports?  Should I just install the RPMs since it's
> just a binary installation anyway?

I think it's ok to grab the libraries along with the software. If more
Linux ports need libSDL or libforms we can always make ports for them. I
would also choose to install rpms, that way the rpm database holds the
proper data and prevents rpm from complaining that certain packages must
be installed while in fact the libraries do exist...

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/